2022 was the year that I...
Jan 10, 2023 • 2 min read
2022 was the year that I... made Lisbon my home, giving myself a whole new continent to explore.
This was huge for me because, as a Filipino, I had a set of rules for myself that didn't apply to others. A limiting belief that says I have to work twice as hard to get half what others get, and never have what they were born with - the freedom to see the world.
Becoming a Portuguese resident proved me wrong. I can travel the world, and if I was wrong about that, then I was also probably wrong about everything else.
I've always been grateful for the privileges I've had, but now I really, really see it. And I hope to give the same opportunities to others one day, but that's going to be bit farther into the future. First, I'm exploring Europe! 🎉
Highlights and accomplishments to be proud of
- Successfully navigated the long bureaucratic process of migrating. My sense of urgency and obsession with getting everything right came in handy, and so the paperwork went smoothly. 😎 This obsession usually manifests in unnecessary anxiety, but this time I was glad to have it!
- Found my dream job with location + time independence, utilizing my array of skills in coding, design, copywriting and taking ownership of a project. All this by working part-time, learning loads, and getting paid well! ⚡️
- Spoke about remote work and digital nomad life to CS/IT students from my uni. It's a small step towards my goal of spreading opportunities and success in tech to the Philippines.
- (Kinda) got over my impostor syndrome. If I think I'm not good enough, then maybe I'm not and I just gotta work towards getting better. I'll be awesome that way.
- I can deadlift more than my body weight.
- After 3 years of travel, I signed a lease for the first time 🤯
What didn't work in 2022
- Sold a template but it was a failure because I did zero marketing 🤪
- Started a travel blog with the intention of earning ad revenue, then realized I don't like writing long informative blog posts. I learned SEO though, and applied that to my portfolio site. Now I continue to get views from Google to this day. Ultimately, it was a win!
- I wanted to make website audits, created the landing page, and never launched due to lack of self-confidence 😆 maybe 2023?
- My lifts didn't improve much despite the consistent workouts. Time to track and up my protein.
Generally just do more and get better on all the things that matter. Specifically: